Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Travel woes

Well, today was the day that I was suppose to go to Antigua. Even though I have known for at least a month that I couldn't go, I still felt depressed today.

A friend of mine (we've been friends since Middle School) was going on a cruise. It wasn't coming to my island, but she thought that maybe, just maybe, we could meet up on one of the islands that it did go to. Hell ya! I was really excited. I had to choose between Puerto Rico, Antigua, and Tortola. The choice was easy. I had heard so much about Antigua that I knew I wanted to go there. I hate Puerto Rico (long story, let's save it for another day). Tortola is British and expensive to get to. Yay! I was going to Antigua.

Then, reality hit. This wouldn't be cheap. But how many times would I be able to do something like this? I talked to Itchy. There was no way that he could go. I felt guilty. It wouldn't be fair to him if I got to go have a super fun time and he had to stay here. He wants to see the other islands too. I felt really bad. Itchy told me not to worry about it. It was only going to be 2 days. I still couldn't make up my mind.

Well, as it turns out I didn't have to think about it too much. The decision was made after talking to the surgeon that worked on Patches. We found out that Patches has cancer. It wasn't a huge surprise, as I suspected it all along, but it hurt to hear those words. So instead of planning a trip to Antigua for a day of fun I was frantically emailing every vet I knew for advice. With the added expense of everything that goes along with cancer, I just couldn't justify spending money on this trip.

I hope it was beautiful in Antigua today. I hope that my friend and her family had a great time. I hope that she emails me pictures. I just wish that I could have been there.

No comments: