Thursday, March 27, 2008

Patches is joining me

We've made the decision for her. She has been quite vocal in her attempt to protest this. Unfortunately for her she has no say in this.

Itchy and I have decided (well, I decided and Itchy is going along with it because he knows I am right) that it is time for Patches to make lifestyle changes. She's been overweight almost her entire life. We made excuses for her: oh poor Patches, she was the runt of the litter and the whole litter nearly starved to death before being rescued, that's why she is always hungry; maybe she has a glandular problem; and my favorite, she isn't that fat, she just has a lot of hair. Let's face it though, the girl just loves food. She over eats. It's time for that to change.


We've had her on a few diets for the last 2 years. We started with a 'light' food. She gained weight. Then about a year ago, we switched her to a prescription weight loss food, it's the lowest calorie/fat food that we can get for her. She has gained more weight. Apparently diets don't work for cats either. So she is joining me in making lifestyle changes. No, she won't be going to the gym with me, but her world is changing.

The changes are a rough draft. Changes will and can still be made. She will still get 4 small meals a day (better than 2 large meals). The amount of food will not change yet (we've been feeding for ideal weight as it is). I think our main problem is that she is eating most of Cuddles' food. Their dishes were in the other room, so it was hard to monitor. Now they are in the kitchen where I can watch her every move. Their dishes will be put away except for mealtime. She will not be able to graze all day. This is the first step. I'm not sure what the next steps will be but that's the beauty of a rough draft.

Today she weighed t pounds (even cats don't like to share their weights online). Our ideal weight for her is t-5 pounds but we will be happy with t-3 pounds. I myself am trying to lose 10 pounds. I've made each of us a ticker, maybe this will be motivating. This is going to be hard for both of us.

No comments: