Sunday, March 9, 2008

One step closer

I got as close to fulfilling one of my goals today as I've ever been. The goal: training monkeys. It was not as I envisioned, but my goals were not well thought out. Probably why I haven't followed through with any of them. Yet.

Itchy and I were going to go to the beach today. We HAD to use his credit card so we planned on lunch at the local resort and then spending the afternoon on their beach chairs. When we got up it was cloudy, which seems to be the theme. We plan on a beach day and it's cloudy. Who wants to go to the beach on a cloudy day? When you have access to it everyday you become selective. We really did need to use his credit card though, so we decided to eat at one of the plantations.

We got lost on the way there. Of course. It's our thing, it's what we do, and we're good at it. But we did find it, so the trip was a success. The plantation is beautiful. Great views of the Atlantic. They were playing songs from the Little Mermaid and the Wizard of Oz (not the versions from the movies but the lyrics were the same, it was like a grown up version of the songs) which was a little weird. The food was great. The service was good. We fed the cute little finches that came to our table. It was expensive. Really expensive. I have to say though, it was nice to eat out and NOT get food poisoning. Like the last time we ate out.

The plantation has rain forest trails on their grounds. We decided to take a little walk after lunch. For some reason, knowing that we would probably be walking these trails, I wore flip flops. Super genius. Lucky for me, the trails were easy and it wasn't much of a hike. It was on these trails that I came closer to my goal. There were monkeys. They were surrounding us. They didn't come very close to us but they were definitely interested in us. See, if I'm ever going to train monkeys I need them to be interested. I can't be expected to train them if they won't pay attention to me. Once I have their attention, the plan will all come into place.

So even though I didn't actually accomplish anything I feel like I made some progress. Besides, it was just fun to watch them swinging through the trees.

No comments: