Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Datch

A few semesters ago (we measure time in semesters down here, they are 4 months long in case you were wondering) I noticed someone a little weird. He seemed to be at every party. These were school parties so everyone kind of knows everyone. Or at least which semester people are in. It's a small island and an even smaller campus.

Anyway, this guy didn't look like he fit in at all. The first party he was at, I tried to figure out who he was. Not in the obvious go and talk to him way, but more the ask around a little and then start making things up in my head variety. No one had seen him on campus. Ok, he could be a first semester. But eaves dropping on other first semesters proved that they didn't know him either. Over time we (Shots* and I) decided that he was probably a med or nursing student, maybe a local.

We were sort of obsessed with him. Not in a "he's cute" kind of way, but a "good lord he's here too" kind of way. We named him Datch. He was always wearing a t-shirt and faded jeans with flip flops. The t-shirt always had the word DATCH on it. Always. He had a stance too. I do a great impression of it. He was always standing like that. Beer in one hand, thumb hooked on his pocket and one knee bent. Here's a picture (sorry about the quality, I was drinking, we were in a dark bar, and I had to crop people out).
























Shots and I made a game of pointing him out to one another. Apparently, Shots and I also like to take A LOT of pictures when we've had too much to drink. Like hundreds of pictures in a single night. Up close. In people's faces. Makes for some really unfortunate pictures. Thank goodness for digital cameras. Now, amongst those in your face pictures, we started taking pictures of Datch. Lots of pictures. To be honest, we weren't very sneaky about it either. He totally saw us. He even smiled for a lot of the pictures. It was fun. It made some really boring parties more interesting.

It was all ruined one night. Intentionally by one person. It is one of Itchy's friends. Without going into too much detail, Itchy's friend went up to Datch and asked him to come and meet us. We asked him not to talk to Datch. He did it anyway because he likes to be a jerk. He ruined it. We learned way too much about him. It did not coincide with the stories we made up. Itchy's friend ruined all our fun.

Anyway, I saw him out last night at the beach bars. He was doing what he always did.

*Shots is someone that we hang out with a lot. She likes to do shots. She is from Utah. I'm pretty sure she has sisterwives.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I know that the picture makes the text look funny. I can't fix it. I tried. I hope to get better at posting pictures. I'll put it on my list of goals.

Lori said...

I can only hope that it doesn't bug you as much as it bothers me. I'm tempted to remove the picture.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!