Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What's up with the towels?

Yesterday I noticed a new trend. Maybe someone can explain this to me.

On my way to the gym I saw a guy (early 20's) wearing a wife beater and super baggy jeans (boxers showing, of course). This is not unusual. What was different was the white towel that he had hanging out of the back of his super baggy jeans. Not a small hand towel. A large bath towel. Tucked into the waistband of his super baggy jeans.

Itchy and I discussed the possible reasons that he would do this. The only thing I could come up with was that he has an ass sweat problem. It is really hot here. Itchy said it might be gang related. Perhaps telling the cops "I'm clean". Get it? He has a towel so he must be clean.

While at the gym I was watching Tempo (it's like Caribbean MTV, back when MTV had music videos). I saw 2 videos that had multiple people with ass towels. Then today, while I was walking to IGA, I saw 2 more people with towels hanging out the back of their jeans. So what's up with the towels?

We went so far as to look it up on the internet (yes, we are nerds and yes it does remind me of "Office Space" when they look up money laundering in the dictionary). Itchy got some reference to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". I got an ebay auction for an Xbox that came with a towel in case "he crapped his pants with glee and had to clean it up with a towel".

I doubt that these people have read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (I doubt they do a lot of reading) and it's unlikely that all of these people are crapping their pants. Maybe they are. But why would they be so obvious about it? I mean, I think they'd try to be more discreet. At some point someone is going to ask about the towel. Do they really want to have that conversation?

If you want to see an example, one of the videos was KMC's Carnival Clap (sounds like a STD doesn't it?). Maybe it's on YouTube.

Is this a wide spread trend? Is it only in the Caribbean? Am I the only noticing this? If any knows the answers, let me know. Until then I will just have to assume that these people have over active sweat glands on their asses. Eww.

No comments: