Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Ugh, locals!

One of the reasons that living on an island isn't as great as it sounds: the locals.

Sure, they may be entertaining to some extent but that wears off after a week. Just in time for your vacation to end. Lucky you.

I have been here for more than a week and have much more than a week left (see ticker at bottom of page). The entertainment value of these people is long gone for me. Every once and a while I encounter someone that makes me laugh (Tokyo!) but man, most of these people drive me crazy.

It's almost as if they have no common sense at all. The lack of education is astounding. These kids walk to school at 9 am, leave for lunch at 11am, back to class at 1 pm and are done by 3 pm. I'm lucky enough to live near a school so I hear them coming and going all day long. Now in those 4 hours (quality over quantity, right?) they teach the basics: your car will explode if driven over speed bumps too fast, it's ok to play in the street, it is required that you will stop whatever your doing (whether it means ignoring a customer, blocking traffic, etc) to say hi to someone that you know/looks familiar . Now some of the locals are taught more 'specialized' skills. Things like pumping gas and, perhaps the most highly sought after skill, the fine art of aloe massage. Why with those skills they'll be a "second world" country in no time!

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I really do. It's just exhausting though. Don't worry though, they hate us as much as we hate them.

No comments: