Friday, February 22, 2008

Email anyone?

Well, the saga has finally and painfully come to an end. I can email people again! 64 new emails! Since Sunday night. Maybe this isn't a good thing. I haven't even started to work on that yet. I'm hoping for a lot of junk.

Since I know you are all DYING to know how this came to an end, here ya go. I called Mr. Tech Guy at 1 pm. I got through to a real live person! We will call this guy Rob. Rob started out by asking what he could help with. I explained what had gone on over the last week. Rob remembers my emails (right). Rob explained that many, many people were having this problem. Rob said that he can fix this, no problem. Then he asked for my UCard number. What!? I haven't seen my UCard in about 6 years. I sure as hell don't know what my UCard number is. Rob suggests that I call the UCard office to obtain my number. I explain that I'm calling from overseas (which, he would know, if he actually remembered my emails) and would like to avoid unnecessary phone calls. Rob says that without that, he really can't help. Isn't there something we can do to get around this? Rob has to transfer my call to Supervisor Diane. Great. Thanks for all the help Rob.

My call is transferred. I am on hold for about 10 minutes. Then I get to talk to Supervisor Diane. Supervisor Diane is sorry for all the hassle. Thanks Supervisor Diane, can we just get this over with. I JUST WANT TO CHECK MY EMAIL! Of course, I did not yell at Supervisor Diane, that would just be rude. Supervisor Diane needed my driver's license number, social security number, and my student ID number (which is WAY different than a UCard number, but it is printed on your UCard). Now, I haven't had to use my student ID number in years, but I somehow remember it. It's a late President's Day miracle! Supervisor Diane enters and verifies my numbers and then asks me my security question. I hear typing. Supervisor Diane resets my password and TA DA! I have email again!

I thank Supervisor Diane, she apologizes again. Then she explains that because of all the problems that they have had with this "new mandatory password changing program", they have implemented a new system so that passwords can be reset online. Genius! What a wonderful idea. If that system had been in place 6 days ago, I wouldn't have gone through any of this.

So I have email again. If you have been waiting for something, umm, it could be a day or two.

ETA: Supervisor Diane suggests that I call the UCard office to get my UCard number, "just in case".
ETAA: Yes, Rob told him he was transferring my call to Supervisor Diane. She also answered the phone, "hi, this is Supervisor Diane". I wasn't trying to be weird.

No comments: