Thursday, April 3, 2008

Waiting paid off

I finally made a decision and booked my flight. It will be a summer visit. No freezing my ass off. Nope, not this time. It will be nice out. The nieces will be on summer vacation. There will be nice long summery days. It should be great.

The only downside is that I had to squeeze my trip in between 2 of Itchy's trips. One of his trips got cut a little short. Sorry about that Itchy. I really do feel badly about it. The poor cats will be so confused with all the coming and going. They like the routine. One or the other of us will be gone for just over a month. That's practically forever to them. We'll have to bring them presents so that they forgive us. Maybe Patches would like that new wallet that we saw today? Yes, I think she would. Itchy, I can send you a link and it can be from you!

My indecisiveness paid off this time though. Usually, if I ponder over a purchase it ends up sold out, price goes up, my size isn't available, etc. This time though, it worked out in my favor. I had been checking airfare for weeks. Everything was way too expensive. I was doubting whether or not this trip would even happen. I'd find cheap flights within the states but once I added on the flight off/on the island they crossed the line of what I could afford.

I've got to say though, I do not understand why some airlines are so cheap and others are so expensive when they are flying the same routes. It boggles the mind. It's not like there are any 'extras' on any flights these days. You get a chair and a free beverage. Sometimes the chair reclines a tiny little bit. That's about it. You want something else? Maybe you should drive. Sorry, I'll get back to the flight finding.

Yesterday, I found a flight that I could afford. Not the most ideal dates, but hey for a $200 difference I'll deal with it. Not only that, but on the surrounding dates I would have had different connecting airports. I can deal with different connecting airlines. Even when I have to book them all separately. And then check in at each airport. And go through security each time. But different connecting airports? I don't think so. Especially not in a city like New York. Even I'm not that crazy.


So the flight is booked. I'm working on getting the rides to and from the big city. Now I just need to figure out the details of getting everyone off the island. Since I can't do that until we know where Itchy will be continuing his edumacation, I guess it has to wait until January 2009. Itchy's got a plan though and I like it. A lot. I think, depending on the circumstances, that we will follow through on that plan.

No comments: