Sunday, April 20, 2008

Parades

For the love of...

Why do these people love parades so much? I sort of understand the ones during carnival. That's a big deal in the Caribbean. I don't fully understand what Carnival is celebrating, but I just look at it as an extension of Christmas. I'm all for celebrating but do we need a parade for everything?
Last night there was a parade. In front of my house. For over an hour. It took ONE "float" an hour to move less than a mile. The float consisted of a s-l-o-w moving tractor pulling a flat bed. On that flat bed was a shack. With a live band. And speakers. Oh so many speakers. The band had their fans up there too. They were shouting. Let's see, there were about 200 or so people walking in front of the "float" screaming and trying to sing along to the music. I think my favorite part was the 20 some cars and vans driving behind the "float". All honking. It was hard to tell if they were in the parade or just wanted to get around it.

I went outside to see what the hell was going on. I wanted to know that they were actually moving and not just sitting in our driveway. Once that was confirmed I asked the security guard next door if she knew what was this was all for. She had no clue. She just said that it was annoying her and the guests at the embassy (who knew they actually had guests come to the embassy?). We both agreed that they could try to move a little faster.

Now, I was lucky enough to get a preview of the parade earlier in the afternoon. Granted they were missing the mob of people and the honking cars. I had no idea that I'd be so lucky to see it a second time. I wish I could have taken video of it for you. I know you all would have loved it.

I'm almost certain that they think yesterday was New Years Eve. They completely ignored the actual holiday, so maybe their calendars are off? Just judging from the songs that I heard, I'd have to say that they were celebrating the new year. The song basically went Jesus, Jesus, blah, blah, blah, renew, reduce (?), rejoice, it's 2008. Sounds pretty New Yearsy doesn't it?

No comments: