Wednesday, April 2, 2008

It was awful

It was just as awful as I thought it would be. I started running this week. After nearly dying on the Hash I knew I had to make changes. I figured this was a good week to start seeing as though we would only be at the gym twice. I'd be able to ease into it. Run two days this week and then 4 times next week. It sounded so doable. The thought of running again today makes me feel sick.

Did I mention that it was awful? Running is not my idea of a good time. I really don't like the gym at all but I know it's something that I need to do. Unless, of course, I suddenly stop craving junk food. Mmm, junk food. Oh yeah, running. I got distracted. I am starting the Couch to 5k program again. I started it months ago but quit during week 3. There were no available treadmills that day so I had to use the elliptical. After that, I just decided that the elliptical was just as effective. That doesn't really seem to be true. So now it's back to running. I'm starting at week 5. I just did what I could yesterday and then chose the week that best matched.

Now, I know how boring it is to talk about working out, dieting, and the things that go along with it. This blog will NOT is not going to be all about that. I'll try not to write about it too often. I just figured that since I made fun of Patches (making lifestyle changes and joining me on the road to weight loss) I had better make myself accountable.

I have what the professionals call 'perma-fat'. As in, it's permanent fat. It's not going away. No matter how hard I work, no matter how much I starve myself, I can not seem to lose weight. I started really working out Jan 07. 10 pounds fell off immediately. So fast, in fact, that it made me wonder if I had been wrong about my starting weight. The next 5 pounds took about 10 months. That's 1/2 pound every month. Most people lose a pound a week. That caused me to lose all motivation. When the scale doesn't move at all, it's hard to convince yourself that going to the gym is worth it. But Itchy made me keep going (him and the fact that we had paid for a year long membership- I'm too cheap to not use it). I haven't lost any weight since then. But I haven't gained any either so I guess that's good.

I have 10 pounds to lose to get to where I want to be. Running is suppose to be good for weight loss. I will also continue to do weight training, as everyone says that muscle will help increase my metabolism. I am making an active effort to eat less. Well, at least trying to stop eating when I feel full. You can expect some whiny posts because even typing this makes me want to quit. I'll try to keep it to a minimum for your sake though.

No comments: