Friday, April 18, 2008

Cults = Sects

Have you been watching any of the TV coverage about the FLDS polygamist compound? The one in Texas where they took like 400 children into foster care? The whole thing is just sad. I couldn't care less that they choose to believe what they do. I'm all for freedom of religion. Believe what you'd like, but let me believe what I want. Don't force it upon others. Don't use it as an excuse to do bad things. Like raping little girls. Or forcing these girls to marry men 4 times their age. There is no way in hell that a 13 year old girl is CHOOSING to be married to a 42 year old man. Or having his children. The abuse that must go on there is just astounding.

Now, we all know it's a sad state of affairs. I feel badly for them. I'm not a horrible person (well, I don't think I am) but really what the heck is up with those women? Have you seen them? The mile high hair. The unibrows. They all have on the SAME dress, just in different shades on pastels. Here's a picture in case you don't know what I'm talking about. Just look at the woman that is front and center. No one has tweezers that they can share with her?

I looked into it a little and found this. It's an interview with a woman that escaped from a "sect". It basically says that the dresses they wear are just a cover for their religious whites. Yeah, they are wearing a whole other outfit under those things. The pastel dresses have to be long sleeved and ankle length in order to cover the entire religious garments. They live in Texas. Can you imagine how hot they are? They are required to wear pastels because dark colors are a sign of Satan. Except for red, because Jesus wears red. Duh. The colors designate families. Each husband (there can't be many, can there?) is given a color and then all of his wives have to wear that color. No doubt there are little girls praying that they marry John and not Larry because John's wives get to wear light blue and Larry's wives have to wear darker blue.

This escapee also explains their trademark hair. The higher they can get they hair the more righteous they are. By this logic, Aqua Net can buy you a ticket to heaven. Good to know. The unibrow must be a symbol of the unity they feel with Jesus.

Like I said, I realize these people are most likely suffering from Stockholm's Syndrome. I get that they don't see a way out. They've been brainwashed and abused. I feel bad that religion is being used to hurt them. It happens all too often. But these women have been given a way out. I hope they take advantage of it.

No comments: