Saturday, October 10, 2009

Tour

Itchy and I went on the hospital tour today. We did end up being the only ones on the tour. No big surprises, everything was pretty much what I expected. The only thing that I don't really care for was that you have to change rooms after delivery. It's not a huge deal but most newer hospitals keep you in the same room from the time to get there until you are discharged. Moving seems like a hassle but whatever. All the rooms are private which is all that I can really ask for. They really encourage breastfeeding as soon as possible after the birth and have lactation consultants there every day. They have a nursery available but encourage moms to keep their babies with them as much as possible. It's the only hospital in the area (from what I've read) that has a Level III NICU. Obviously I don't want to use the NICU but it's good to know that it's there if we need it.

Let's see, the tour guide basically told Itchy that his role will be to do whatever I want and need. She also said that my idea of laboring at home for as long as possible, not having people hanging around in the waiting room, etc were good ideas. Not that Itchy disagreed with that stuff, but it's good for him to hear it from someone other than me.

Itchy and I also talked about the whole grandparents visiting after Stowa arrives ordeal. And yes it will be an ordeal. His parents are so unpredictable. My mom has asked what we wanted her to do. She's also (much, much) more likely to be helpful around here than Itchy's mom. In an ideal world, I want the first day or two at home to just be Itchy, Stowa, the cats, and I. Then my mom would be here for about a week. After that, Itchy's mom and dad will come for up to a week (I'm sure they'll want to stay longer than that but seriously, one week is more than enough).

Reality is that Itchy's mom will pull the "I'm dying" card (which she is, but it's not like waiting for a week is going to make a huge difference. If it were, I'd make damn sure she got to meet her granddaughter). She's made comments that she wants to be here for the birth. I don't know if she's planning on trying that but I wouldn't put it past her. That would just suck. What the hell are they going to do before the baby is born? Sit on my couch and wait for me to go into labor? Yeah, that won't be awkward. So let's say that Itchy can talk them into waiting until after the baby is born. They are going to want to be here *right* away. I'd rather not be recovering from child birth with his parents trying to help. I'm guessing his mom's idea of helping will be holding the baby, bashing the cloth diapers, and trying to sneak in formula. Want to be helpful? Do the dishes. Not to mention that I'm not really cool with breastfeeding in front of Itchy's mom and dad. But really, who knows what is going to happen? You just can't predict crazy. Maybe they'll get here and be really respectful and helpful. Maybe they won't make me uncomfortable. Maybe they won't just want to sit at my house 24/7 without giving Itchy and I time alone to figure out this whole parenting thing. Maybe I'll be on such strong medication that I won't even notice that they are here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it was eleven years ago but I hope you still remember lamaze.

Lori said...

LOL, I breathe everyday! I'm sure it'll all come back to me. Besides, the lady that gave us the tour is going to call me on Tuesday to see if I can sit in on one of there refresher courses.