Thursday, June 25, 2009

Stupid people

I'll admit that my brain is a little mushy right now. Sometimes what I want to say does not come out right. I blame Stowaway. Little tiny zombie baby. But honestly, what I heard today from a fellow pregnant woman (who had to have been around 25) made my jaw drop.

I was at the pharmacy today waiting for my prescription. A very pregnant woman walked up to the pharmacy counter. Her prescription was not ready yet either so she sat down next to me. She asked how far along I was. She was shocked that I was already 20 weeks. She said she was much bigger when she was 20 weeks. I then asked her how far along she was. She said she was 34 weeks pregnant with twin girls. Umm, ok. No wonder you were showing more at 20 weeks. I just told her that she looked great.

Then she told me how lucky I was that my baby was pulling on the cord. Yeah, I was confused at this point too.

Stupid Lady: You're really lucky that your baby is playing with the cord.
Me: What?
SL: Your belly button isn't sticking out. That means that the baby is pulling on the cord. If the baby doesn't pull on the cord your belly button will pop out.
Me: What are you talking about?
SL: Since I'm having twins they have each other to play with so they don't play with the cord. That's why my belly button popped out.
Me: Are you talking about the umbilical cord?
SL: Yeah.
Me: You're kidding right?
SL: What? I just wish that my babies would have pulled on the cord more often. I don't like have an outie.

Yes she was totally serious about this. The pharmacists were trying to hold back the laughter. Her mom was standing nearby nodding in approval. Apparently, SL's mom agreed with this theory.

Me: You do know that the baby's umbilical cord is not connected to YOUR belly button, right?
SL: Yes it is. That's where the cord attaches.
Me: No. No it is not. The umbilical cord is attached to the placenta and the baby. Your belly button is essentially a scar from where your umbilical cord attached to you when you were a fetus. Your babies each have their own umbilical cords that are in no way attached to your belly button.
SL: (said with a very cranky tone) If that were true, then why would my belly button pop out?

At this point one of the pharmacists came over to the counter and said that I was right. SL and her mom were shocked. I was shocked. The pharmacist even showed her a brochure that had a picture of a baby in-utero that showed the umbilical cord attached to the baby and the placenta.

How can someone be that stupid? Seriously. Did she never bring this up to her doctor? Or did her doctor think she was joking and just go along with it? Did she not read any pregnancy books or anything online? How about a high school biology class? And for her mom (who must have been at least 50 some years old) to believe that this is true as well? Un-freaking-believable.

Itchy says that I should have been nicer. I say that stupid people shouldn't talk to me.

I can't really trust Itchy's opinion on this one. He did call me today to tell me that he was done at school and that I could pick him up. That wouldn't be a problem except that I DIDN"T DRIVE HIM TO SCHOOL. He drove himself. Dumbass.

No comments: