Sunday, September 13, 2009

The details you've all been waiting for

Honestly, by this point I've forgotten most of the trip. But here are a few highlights!

Friday night when we arrived at Itchy's parents house we were immediately told that we were causing his dad to have a severe (rolling my eyes) allergic reaction since we were covered in cat hair. There were fake sniffles, imaginary watery eyes, and everything. His dad may be mildly allergic to cats but he was being dramatic. Once he *thought* that we had showered and changed, the symptoms were gone. Magic! Both of Itchy's brothers and their wives came over that night too. It was the first time everyone had all been together. It was interesting.

I think Itchy, Itchy's mom, and I went shopping for baby stuff. His mom loves to shop. I'm ok with it, but I hate getting ripped off. So when his mom was set on shopping at Baby Gap, I was cringing on the inside. I can find clothes that are just as cute at Target for a lot less money. I didn't see anything there that I had to have, but what can I say, I'm cheap! Itchy and his mom picked out a pair of shoes though. $30 for one pair of baby shoes! I don't even like spending that much on my shoes. I'm guessing they'll be returned for something more practical!

We also went to Target and got a few necessities. His mom and I also had our first disagreement in the middle of Target. That was fun! His mom suggested that we stock up on diapers and when I told her that we are going to use cloth diapers, she threw a minor tantrum. She acted as if it were the most absurd thing we could ever do. I tried to be diplomatic about our choice but she was adamant that it was stupid. Itchy, of course, said nothing. Thanks for backing me up jerk!

We spent some time with friends that night at a pre-fantasy football draft party. Silly drunk boys. On Sunday we spent most of the day at the fantasy football draft. Good lord that was boring. They need organization and a time limit. Hanging out with friends afterwards was fun though!

Monday we went shopping again. This time it was because Itchy told his mom that I needed maternity clothes. I could have punched him. So we went and bought maternity clothes. And his mom made me feel like a freak. She was looking at one of the shirts that I tried on and made a comment about the sleeves being made for giants. She wondered who could ever even wear a shirt like that. Umm, guess what? When I tried that shirt on, the sleeves were too short. Like 3 inches too short.

Tuesday was the day that Itchy and I went the the State Fair! That was fun but all the walking made me sore and swollen. We did run into a friend of Itchy's though. They somehow ended up playing a game of football with 2 other random guys though. It was pretty funny and not that weird if you know Itchy's friend. We also went to Itchy's oldest brother's house that night. I got to meet his daughters for the first time. They are pretty excited about having a new cousin. They had lots of questions and were pretty chatty.

Wednesday: Itchy's mom had a bunch of friends over. They all speak Urdu. I don't. I have no idea what was being said but I'm pretty sure they were talking about me. After they left, you guessed it, more shopping! Itchy's mom had a coupon for a baby store and they were having a sale. We got a lot of cute stuff. This kid has a ton of clothes now. Between my mom and Itchy's mom, I think we could dress triplets! We also went to a friends softball game that night. They lost both of their games but it was fun to watch. It made Itchy miss flag football a lot.

Thursday we spent the day with Itchy's mom and dad. You may notice that Itchy's dad really hasn't been mentioned much. It's because he has no interest in me or the baby. Anyway, Itchy's mom had a couple of doctors appointments so we went with to those. I thought it was weird, but she asked us to go with so we did. When we were in the waiting room of the cancer clinic Itchy and I saw the most hilarious crazy person. I'll tell you more about him some other time, but he totally made me laugh.

Friday, after a tearful goodbye, we drove up to see my family. Traffic was terrible. We sat on interstate for 2 hours. Not moving at all. It was incredibly annoying. But we finally got to my mom's house. Everyone was there waiting for us! They were all pretty excited to see the belly. And Itchy. And the cats. They haven't seen Itchy or the cats since before we moved to The Island.

Saturday my aunt and grandma drove up to see us. My mom went nuts and made a huge meal for everyone. Lots of pictures were taken. Games were played. It was a fun day!

Sunday Itchy, my sister and her 2 kids went to my other sister's lake. The kids got to swim and Itchy and I got to fish. I caught more fish than anyone else. Take that Itchy! Itchy fished well past dark. If I had not gone to get him, I think he would have fished all night. He wasn't even catching anything but he didn't want to quit.

Monday morning my mom took us out for breakfast and then to buy a baby book. We spent the rest of the day hanging out at her house. Since Itchy and I had to leave that afternoon, my sisters and nieces came over and we all hung out there. I wish we could have spent more time there but we had to get back here because I had a doctor's appointment.

Overall, it wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be with Itchy's mom but it wasn't exactly relaxing. She's pretty freaking sick right now and that was hard to watch. Since she was a pediatrician she had plenty of advice to give me, but some of the things she told me are just plain wrong. She clearly disagrees with some of our/my decisions. I didn't want to argue with her though. I'll deal with that when I have to. She also kept calling the baby by the name that she picked out. She told a lot of her friends that it was the baby's name. She really didn't ask if we had decided on that name, she just assumed that it is the name we are using. I avoided that subject as much as possible and was vague when confronted (there was a lot of "we're still thinking about names"). Itchy also got very quiet when names were brought up. It's weird, he'll confront his mom about anything else but when it comes to baby stuff, he has nothing to say.

Tomorrow I will try to get a new belly picture up.

No comments: