Monday, June 2, 2008

Horribly depressing

Last night Itchy and I were talking about my upcoming trip. With the price of gas, I would really have to limit how much driving I was going to do, which limits the things that I will be doing (I'm pretty much going to be sitting in a hotel hoping that people come to me). I'm debating with myself at the moment about whether or not I actually need a rental car. I also need to rethink the whole flying vs driving from Big City to Small City. I'm thinking flying might actually be about the same price and a hell of a lot more convenient for everyone involved. It's not like people were going to be making that trip just for fun, they were doing it because of me. Guilt is telling me to just book a flight.

Then Itchy tells me that he's actually worried about the future. Now, I know that this is not unusual, as everyone is worried. The economy sucks. But Itchy doesn't worry about many things. He believes that everything will just work out. I'm the worrier. It drove me nuts when we were moving down here and he wasn't worried about anything. I had a list about a mile long of things I was worried about. So Itchy telling me that he was worried, made me worry. A lot.

The profession that he is going into isn't going to be stable. People can't afford to feed their kids, they sure as hell can not afford to get the dog's teeth cleaned. Pets are a luxury. Pets are expensive. People are going to be forced to give them up. If they do decide to keep them, they're going to cut back on their medical costs. Does he really need blood work done? Can't we just wait it out?

This is going to affect Itchy's potential income. If no one can afford to take their pets to the vet, that means no paycheck. Ironically, there was an article in Yahoo news about this very thing topic today. My degree isn't going to help either. They've already cut those jobs. The jobs they haven't cut yet pay crap (as in, you might as well just volunteer). How the hell are we going to pay our bills? Hyperventilating here.

It's not like the economy is suddenly going to get better. Gas prices aren't going down. Jobs aren't being created. The whole situation is just horribly depressing.

No comments: