Sunday, August 7, 2011

Smoke Signals

Remember when Itchy and I bought our grill? It was sometime this summer. Well, when we bought the grill there was an option to get a smoker attachment. We're suckers for crap like that so we bought the smoker too.

We've used the grill quite a bit this summer. I like it. It doesn't look as cool as our football grill, but it's a heck of a lot easier to grill with.

I decided that we needed to use the smoker this weekend. I researched the crap out of ribs to find out what kind of ribs were the best. I read about what to look for in a good brisket. Stowa and I went to the store armed with all sorts of info. The grocery store didn't have exactly what we wanted but we figured we would make it all work.

I spent all freaking day tending to the smoker. Low and slow. Really freaking slow. That's the motto. Wood chips only produce smoke for about 15 minutes. You want smoke for at least 3 hours. Do the math. Then you have to maintain the temp for at least 3 more hours. In my case it was almost 5 more hours. It's not like I was doing hard manual labor but this was a lot of work.

The results: It was worth it! I didn't eat the ribs since I can't eat pork, but Itchy and Stowa loved them. Itchy called them "perfect". The brisket? Delicious. Even though it could have been out there a little longer. It was still really good. We all ate the brisket. I'm practically in a meat coma right now. Stowa couldn't resist it. She loved it. She kept asking for more. Kid was sad when it was gone.

1 comment:

A's Mom said...

That's awesome that she's a good eater.