Monday, May 18, 2009

This is the crazy part

So I just got back to the States. I got my rental car and ran errands all day. They were boring and mostly uneventful. I did renew my drivers license though (in and out of there in under 10 minutes!!) and that was probably the most exciting thing.

My sisters were meeting me in Big City so we could hang out, shop, have fun, etc. Sunshine and her girls met up with me on Thursday. Thursday night we all went to the Science Museum, which was a blast. I love that place. Once we got back to the hotel, Itchy called me. He kept it short and sweet. His parents knew about me. They may or may not know about the baby. I was told to stay in well lit public areas and away from windows. We are dealing with crazy. Who knows what is going to happen! Itchy was driving like a maniac to get back to his house to make sure the cats were ok and hadn't been let outside (or worse) as an act of revenge by his dad. We both knew his parents weren't happy. It was just a matter of how unhappy they were and what actions they would take. Itchy told me that he would call when he knew more.

I barely sleep that night. My mind is racing. Friday morning we all get up and go to a movie (Monsters vs Aliens 3D) at the Imax theater. After that we meet up with The Warden's family for an afternoon at the zoo. I used to work there so I know some of the insider stuff. Not that we got to see or do anything cool/special because of it but I know what they feed animals/names/etc. We were a bit rushed but I think everyone had fun.

After the zoo we go back to the hotel. Itchy has been frantically trying to call me. His parents are coming back from the hospital and want the cats out of the house. Understandable given that his mom is sick, but we've got no notice. We don't have vaccine records or anything of that nature because that's just not how it's done on The Island and it's damn hard to find a place that will take 2 cats on short notice, for the weekend, with no vaccine history. I call a few people but can't get a hold of anyone. The one person that does answer will take the cats but only if no one else will (she's already got a zoo at her house). Itchy comes to pick me up and we take the cats to a boarding facility that I use to work at. I'm hoping that either it's someone I know or someone that doesn't really know the rules.

We get lucky. It's two girls that don't really know what they are doing. I explain the situation, give them our hand written vaccine history and they aren't sure if they can take it. I tell them if they want to call their boss (my former boss) I'd be happy to explain it to her. I'm sure she'd be fine with it. I kind of bullied them a little. But in the end, they took the cats. Cuddles was depressed but he was fine. Patches on the other hand flipped the fuck out. That girl clawed the hell out of my arm and tried to bite. She was a monster. The girls working there were afraid of her and rightfully so. She's a beast. I apologized profusely and told them we'd be trying to find a different place for them to stay so that they wouldn't have to deal with that.

After that, Itchy decides that I should go meet his oldest brother. Yeah. I look like crap, smell because we've been walking around the zoo all afternoon, and need to get back to my sisters and nieces but sure what the hell, let's go to meet your brother!

His brother and his wife were both very nice. They actually made be feel a lot better about Itchy's parents. They seemed pretty excited about the baby too, so that was nice. Their little boy is as cute as can be too, so it was nice to meet him (Itchy loves that kid!). I can't believe how much alike Itchy and his oldest brother are. Not just looking alike either, their behaviors are very similar.

We didn't stay there long though. I had planned to have dinner with my family. So Itchy brings me back to the hotel. He can't stay because he has to deal with his parents who have decided that they need to meet me.

I go to dinner with my family. As we are eating I am telling them about all the craziness that is going on with Itchy's family. At the very end of dinner I spring the baby news on them. He he. They totally didn't see it coming! It was hilarious. I'm so glad that my mom and dad kept the secret. After dinner, we all head to Target to pick up breakfast food and I look for a shirt to wear to meet Itchy's parents.

Saturday morning we get up, the kids swim for a little while and than we head to the mall. Once we get there Sunshine and I take the kids to the aquarium and Warden and Mr. Warden go wander the mall. I've been to the aquarium so many times I could give tours, but it's still fun. After that we all go have lunch. I still need something to wear to meet Itchy's parents though, so after lunch I depart from the group to go find something. Itchy meets me there. It takes a while but I find something. We than had to hustle to get to the boarding place to get the cats. Itchy's neighbor had offered to watch them. We go get the cats, Itchy drops me off at the hotel so I can get ready to go meet his parents, and he brings the cats to his neighbors house.

About two hours later, Itchy finally picks me up to go meet his parents. I'm a freaking wreck. I know this isn't going to be fun. They already hate me. I really don't want to go but I know we have to. No more than 5 minutes from the hotel and Itchy's care breaks down. On a major highway. Great. Car absolutely will not start. We are standing on the side of a very busy highway like a bunch of dopes. Itchy calls his dad to arrange for a tow truck. I call my sister to see if they can pick us up and bring us to the hotel. That was fun. It was really hard to give them directions because I couldn't hear them and I'm not sure they could hear me. But in the end, we got back to the hotel. Itchy's brother was going to pick us up there and bring us to their parent's house. I've met Itchy's middle brother before but it was still weird.

Once we finally get to Itchy's parent's house, hours after we were suppose to be there, we are told to wait downstairs. His mom had just finished a feeding and they were getting her comfortable. I'm freaking out and want to just run away. Seriously, just run far far away. But before I can act on that, we are told to get upstairs.

We go up there, I am introduced, there is a little small talk, and than his dad starts talking about the wedding. He explains that if we are serious that we need to be married. He can marry us that night if we both agree to it. Yeah. Not joking here folks. We had a shotgun Indian wedding. In Itchy's parent's master bedroom. Most of it was in Arabic so I had no idea what was said, but I know that I agreed to marry Itchy for $300 cash and the promise of a ring (which is in a bank somewhere). His dad was sure to explain that this was not legally binding and that we would need to go to the courthouse to get it done legally, but in their eyes and in the eyes of their god, we were married. Then Itchy's mom started to cry. A lot. Itchy's brother's wife (A) and I were told to go downstairs.

That was fine until Itchy's dad came down and blatantly ignored the fact that I was there. Itchy's brother and his wife had ordered food for our "reception" and while his dad ate, it was obvious he was ignoring me. That's fine. I tried. I talked to A. She tried to keep the conversation going so that I could be included and I was talking, but his dad wasn't going for it. He'd talk over me or change the subject so that I couldn't participate. Whatever. After what seemed like forever, Itchy came downstairs. He talked to his dad and than his dad went upstairs. Itchy ate a little and than we needed to leave. It was almost midnight. We went upstairs to say goodbye to his parents, made his mom cry some more, and than Itchy drove me back to the hotel.

It was a weird, weird night. I feel like I should be relieved that they know about me and reacted so well, but it's just weird. Knowing that someone hates you, thinks you're stupid, and that you're not good enough but then they act nice to your face is a weird feeling.

So that was that. I told you it was crazy. I left out a lot of details, or it feels like I did, but this is the gist of it. Ask questions if you want more details.

No comments: