Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Stupid

Apparently Itchy and I are too stupid to hook up a wireless router. It's there. The computer sees it. We got great signal strength. But we can't connect. I don't get it. I need to call their support people and have them talk me through it. Hopefully they will understand the need to speak to me like I am five because I seriously don't know what else to do with the damn thing. At least we still have the neighbor's wireless connection. I guess it wouldn't be a huge deal to sit in the second bedroom and use the internet connection in there, but the whole point of a laptop is to be able to away from the desk.

In other stupid news I had my first prenatal appointment today. I'm not saying that prenatal care is stupid, but this appointment was a huge stupid waste of time. It was a "cluster" appointment. They gather a group of newly (and some not so newly) pregnant women and do a group appointment. I guess it saves them a crap load of money. Whatever. There were 21 of us there. I'd say that the average age was about 22. I try really hard not to judge people. But wow, they made it hard. For example, the woman sitting next to me. She has already had one child so of course she knows everything and kept disagreeing with everything the instructor said. When the instructor was telling us that if we have cats, we should have someone else take over cleaning the litterbox or at the very least take some precautions. Woman next to me disagreed: you should just get rid of the cats (that's when I knew I hated her). The instructor told us that babies born to mother's that smoked weed would have withdrawal symptoms (same goes for alcohol, cigarettes, etc) once they are born. Woman next to me said that she smoked pot throughout her entire pregnancy and her kid was fine. She did say a little later that she no longer had custody of her kid, but I'm sure that it's completely unrelated. She was a gem. One of the others told everyone that based on her last period she was due in November, but another doctor did bloodwork and said that based on that she was due much, much sooner but he wouldn't tell her when she was due. Umm, I know that they will guess how far a long you are based on the level of HCG in your blood, but what doctor will not tell you when you are due?

I will say that most of those women needed to be there. They didn't seem to know a whole lot based on the questions they asked and the trouble they had following simple instructions (filling out forms).

Two useful things happened during this appointment. They drew blood (tons of it) and they scheduled my next appointment. That was it. The rest of it was a waste of time. It was all stuff they told me over the phone when I first called to make an appointment. Take your prenatal, don't smoke, drink, etc.

2 comments:

A's Mom said...

That's hilarious. I think if I was sitting next to her, I would have had to get up and move. I just can't stand stupidity. More because she probably would have hit me the first time I laughed at her.

Lori said...

Sadly, because of The Island my tolerance for stupidity increased substantially. Unavoidable really.

I did laugh a few times at the women there. I guess I can blame hormones!