Sunday, August 31, 2008

Vacation Part 4

I didn't intend for my vacation tales to take over the blog. Since a lot of this is blurring together I'm going to do some highlights (which is probably what I should have been doing to begin with).

My sister operates an in-home daycare. My nieces all attend this daycare. Guess where I was almost everyday? Yep, daycare. I know most of the kids there and they almost all know me so this works out pretty well. The bonus was that I could take my nieces and do fun things in the afternoon. I obviously can't talk about the daycare kids here, so I'll limit the stories to our afternoon adventures.

One of the first days I was at my mom's house I was stopped by the U.S. Border Patrol. I was out running and a border patrol guy stopped me (he was parked along the trail). He asked for ID, which I had (DL), and than started asking about when I had last left the country. He wanted to know where I had been, did I have a valid VISA to be there for that long, etc. Then he wanted to see my passport. Yeah, who carries their passport when they are running? For pete's sake, was I running so fast that he thought I was making a break for Canada? I asked him what the problem was and why he needed to see my passport. I am an American citizen. I entered the country legally through Puerto Rico. I was no where near the border. He was willing to follow me back to my mom's house to get my passport. Nope, sorry not without a valid reason. He couldn't give me a valid reason or even a stupid reason. He ended up running my name through his computer and than let me go, but seriously who gets stopped by the border patrol?

I think the first afternoon adventure (that wasn't shopping) was a trip to the splash park. It was a nice enough day out but that water was pretty cold. I didn't play in the water but the girls did. Princess (the 4 year old) ran off on me though. It seems to be a theme with her though. She's a runner. And when she is running she can not hear your voice. She took off to the nearby park with another little girl that was at the splash park. I was watching her, glanced away to check the big girls, and then she was gone. The other little girl was gone too. I looked over at the park and low and behold there she was. After we had a little talk and a timeout we all went to the park together.

The next day we had a picnic in the park (different park). That was pretty fun. The girls helped make the sandwiches. We had lots of yummy fruit (mmm, strawberries) because the groceries stores there actually have fresh fruit that doesn't cost a fortune. After lunch we all played at the park. It's a huge park with lots to do so everyone had fun. Princess had an accident which forced us to leave but that's ok.

Next up was the trip to the lake. We'll start there tomorrow.

1 comment:

A's Mom said...

What an adventure! Seriously, did you have on the wrong color for the neighborhood to be stopped by the border patrol??

Love the new title header!