Monday, November 8, 2010

Birthday Shenanigans Part 4

Last week Itchy's brother (the middle son) and his wife had a baby. Beautiful little boy. If FIL and Itchy's brother got along AT ALL, Stowa would be chopped liver. FIL would be done with her. Life would be so much easier. Alas, Itchy's brother and FIL do not get along. FIL will not be spending much time with New Baby.

On Friday night we got to go over and meet the new little guy. Itchy's oldest brother, his wife, their son, and FIL also went over. Don't worry, the new parents ok'd this. Besides we didn't stay long. Everything is going well. FIL is behaving. I suppose it's because he hadn't talked to Itchy's brother (middle) for months. FIL was on his best behavior.

Itchy and I were mentally playing a drinking game. Take a mental shot every time FIL says "That's how you can tell he's a LASTNAME". He said it ALL THE FREAKING TIME when Stowa was born. Everything single thing she did. Every face she would make. "Look, she blinks! That's how you can tell she's a LASTNAME". It was obnoxious. I wanted to punch him in the throat. He didn't say it once. Not even once. I was shocked. But again, he was on his best behavior.

How does this relate to Stowa's party? Well, I overheard him inviting Itchy's brother to the party. This isn't just a birthday party. This is some Muslim prayer thing for MIL. FIL is trying to pretend that it's been a year since she died. Traditionally, you would have a prayer get together (not sure what the proper term is, but it's a bunch of people getting together to pray) on the anniversary of someone's death. I knew this and I was expecting this to happen in January. On the anniversary of MIL's death.

I suppose I come off as a selfish bitch by having a problem with this. FIL is throwing the party, he can do what he wants. It's a nice gesture. People loved MIL and want to say prayers for her. What's wrong with that? Why am I bothered by this? First of all, a birthday is suppose to be happy and fun. Having all of MIL's friends there praying for her, on the "anniversary" of her death is beyond sad and depressing.

My other issue with this is that FIL never said anything to me about this. Not a word. It's not like he just thought of this. It was his plan the whole time. I guess it wouldn't really change anything. But let's say I hadn't over heard this. I show up to this very somber prayer thing with my birthday girl. I bring her highchair and a fun cake for her to smash. And balloons! She loves balloons. Then I look like an ass. Because what asshole brings balloons to a funeral (essentially the same thing). I don't understand why he didn't just tell me.

1 comment:

A's Mom said...

That's like someone asking you if they can announce they are pregnant at someone else's birthday party! You just don't do that! This man makes me cringe.