Thursday, November 25, 2010

Birthday Shenanigans Final Edition

Well the party is over. It was as annoying as I thought it would be. It was also more fun than I thought it would be.

When we arrived at FIL's house, 30 minutes late, FIL wasn't home. 2 of his friends were there decorating. A few other people were arriving (no idea who they were, I had met at least one of them before but no clue who she is or what her name might be) so I let them in and pretended to be happy to see them. We changed Stowa into her Indian outfit and I helped put up decorations. The decorations were a mixture of birthday and baby shower.

FIL showed up and told Itchy to go buy beverages. Yep, he invited 50 people to his house and had NOTHING to offer them except tap water. He easily could have picked up sodas or something since he was at the grocery store picking up the cake. Whatever. Itchy went to get soda. Leaving me with all of them. Thankfully, my Itchy's brother and his wife showed up. Sister in law (SIL) and I teamed up.

Itchy's other brother and his wife and their brand new baby also showed up. That took away a lot of the attention. People love new babies.

FIL only commented on my clothes once. He asked if I wanted to go change. I guess that means he didn't like what I was wearing. Oh well.

One of the relatives was disappointed with Stowa's outfit. She was mad that it didn't fit her properly and that I didn't have the whole outfit on her.

Another relative (maybe?) informed me that I needed to get her into daycare ASAP so that she'd "grow up". I'm still not sure what that means.

When SIL and I were getting food, an old lady told us not to eat the food. She thought it would be too spicy for us. The food wasn't spicy at all.

After we ate, FIL gathered everyone into the kitchen for cake cutting. He asked Itchy for a knife. Itchy hands him the knife and then he GAVE IT TO STOWA. Yup, hands a huge knife to my kid. Good decision. I was standing right there and took it from her though.

I gave her a homemade little cake to smash and that was that. FIL wanted to give her a taste of the other cake but someone asked him something about New Grandbaby and he got distracted.

A lot of people left after that. SIL wanted to open gifts so we went to the living room to open gifts. She got a lot of stuff. Cute stuff.

After most everyone had left, just some of FIL's friends were still there. We were sitting around chatting. FIL started his "grandfather of the year" junk. He has apparently taught her everything she knows. Clapping, dancing, waving, high fiving, meowing, etc. All from FIL. Good thing he's around otherwise my kid would still be learning to breathe.

We left soon after that.

All in all, it was ok.

No comments: