Saturday, October 16, 2010

Birthday Shenanigans Part 1

We were over at FIL's house for his birthday about 2 weeks ago and he mentioned to someone that was there that they needed to remember Stowa's birthday. I overheard this and mentioned it to Itchy on our drive home. We decided that we needed to ask what he was planning. We knew it couldn't be good.

Then last week when we were there (Yep, we have weekly visits. It's like the Gilmore Girls but not as fun.) he informed us that he was planning a party for Stowa. It was to be held the weekend before her birthday. He was inviting about 25 people.

This was the beginning of the chaos. First of all, I didn't want a party before her birthday. I know how FIL can be. I could totally see FIL trying to sneak her off and let her smash her cake without us there to see it. It's one of the birthday moments that I'd like to see. Nope. The first cake she smashes will be with me damn it. Or he'd do something else equally annoying. He likes to play grandfather of the year when other people are around. So him with a large crowd of his friends just spells disaster.

We tried telling him that Stowa isn't going to have fun with that many strangers around but he insists that all of these people WANT to see Stowa. I'll give him that one. MIL had a lot of friends. She told them all about Stowa. These people miss MIL. It's understandable that they'd like to see the little girl that MIL loved so much. So we agreed to invite all these people that Itchy and I do not know. Whatever. Stowa will be extra clingy with me but whatever.

He tells us that he will take care of everything (which means he'll order Indian food) and I can come with him to order the cake. Great. Then we break the news that I will be making Stowa's cake. This pisses him off. He wants to order her a cake. We explain that he can order the cake the all of the guests will eat. But the cake that Stowa gets to smash and eat? Yeah, I'm making that. He doesn't understand why. He can afford to buy her a cake. Itchy explains (again) that we don't want her to eat a bunch of sugary food. I will make her a yummy and healthy cake. FIL pouts.

No comments: