Thursday, December 22, 2011

ONP Day 2

We survived Day 1!

She asked for her paci a lot. We talked about the baby that got her paci and how happy he is now. He cried all the time before and now he doesn't. We looked at the picture of the baby boy that got her paci.

She did really well. Itchy made me feel like crap about the plan. I told him what she said that morning and what we did and he said that he doubted it would last. I told him that if we could stay strong and just go cold turkey, she'd be done with it in like two days. He then gave me the guilt trip that I'm making her grow up too quick. Let her give it up when she's ready. I told him that maybe wanting to mail her paci to a baby boy who needed it was her way of telling us she IS ready. I still felt bad. I don't want to make her grow up. I've never been one to push her to do things. I didn't care about milestones. She'd roll over/walk/talk/etc when she's ready. But here was Itchy telling me that *I* was forcing her to do this. Way to make me feel like crap!

Anyway, she did great all day. She seemed to get it. Then came bedtime. Since she's a two-pacis-to-go-to-bed kind of girl, I figured this was going to be hard. Sure enough when Itchy was carrying her to bed, she asked for two pacis. Itchy just looked at me. I reminded Stowa that we mailed them to Baby Patrick (totally made up the name, we don't know a Baby Patrick). I told her she was a big girl and she didn't need a paci. It'll be ok.

Dear Baby Jesus, I about cried when I saw the look on her sweet little face. She was so sad. I could have just as well told her that I ripped the head off of her baby doll and hung it just out of her reach so she'd always have to look at it but never be able to fix it. Yes people it was THAT sad. But I followed her lead. She didn't ask again. She wanted me to carry her to bed (usually that's daddy's job). She needed extra snuggles to fall asleep but she did fall asleep. And she stayed asleep. All night.

She woke up at her normal time and she wanted to come snuggle with me in bed. After about 20 minutes she was ready to get up. She gave Little Dude his paci and we got up.

She hasn't asked for her paci at all today. In fact, she hasn't even mentioned it.

Clearly this is harder on me then it is on her. It's so weird to be excited that your little one is growing up and be so sad at the same time. This is just one more thing that makes her more grown up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That just broke my heart, BUT she survived! Good job!

And I totally know what you mean. Little Lady Fingers is just about to crawl and I am so excited and kind of sad because that will mean she is more independent... I guess I'll just have another so I can carry it around! =) (just kidding. this is NOT an I'm pregnant announcement).

~CW

Lori said...

You should totally have another baby! Look how cute LLF is! Every time I see her I squeal. She is so dang cute.

I can't believe she is ready to crawl.