Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Fantastic news

It's what we've all been waiting for!!!

I was diagnosed with PUPPP yesterday! Hooray! Oh, you thought the baby had arrived? Sorry. I guess that would be fantastic news as well. But she seems to be quite happy where she is.

Anyway, PUPPP stands for Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy. Fancy words for a HORRIBLY ITCHY RASH. Given that, you may be wondering what exactly is so fantastic about being diagnosed with PUPPP. My answer for that is nothing. There is nothing good about it at all. I just don't have that sarcastic font figured out yet.

So yep, I have this horribly itchy rash. It's spreading on a daily basis. My doctor is less than concerned. She told me to take diphenhydramine and use hydrodocortisone cream. The rash is not harmful to me (I disagree, the itching is affecting what is left of my mental health) or Stowa. The only effective treatment is to give birth. Apparently it goes away about 2 weeks to a month after delivery.

Here are some nerdy stats for you:
Stowa defied the odds of birth control (only 2 out of 100 women get pregnant while taking the pill)

50-75% of women will experience morning sickness, but only 10% will have morning sickness past the 12th week (I was lucky and had it until about the 20th week)

I can't find the stats for pregnancy related heartburn, but I'm fairly sure that not every one has raging heartburn everyday, with no way to relieve it, for their ENTIRE pregnancy.

Only 1 in 200 pregnant women will get PUPPP

Of those pregnant women, 70% of them have boys

Yeah. I feel like I should go buy a freaking lottery ticket.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the luckiest person in the world!

A's Mom said...

Oh, dear. Hope the ultrasound was right about the sex of Stowa. Sorry about the rash - sounds lovely (yea, a sarcastic font would be really helpful sometimes, huh?).

Lori said...

Yes, so very lucky. And seriously, if the ultrasound was wrong, we're in a lot of trouble. If Stowa is really Stowie, we'll pretend he's a she for Itchy's mom.