Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Persistance

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." -Benjamin Franklin

It's a pain in the ass, but sometimes you have to live by that quote. A mistake was made when I booked my return flight for my upcoming vacation. I swear I double checked everything before hitting ok. But alas, my return flight was scheduled for one day after I arrived. Yep, because flying for 16 hours, spending a night in a hotel, and then flying back to the island the next day is exactly what I want to do. I swear I double checked it. Whatever.

It had to be changed. Changes for international flights can not be changed online. That would be far to easy. You have to call the airline. Fine. They have 1-800 numbers to call based on where you are calling from. Not that it matters since I'm using a pay as you go phone, my minutes are getting eaten up anyway. I call the number that corresponds to my island. Except that the number doesn't work. I try calling a number for a nearby island. But a voice tells me that it will not be a toll free call. Please enter your credit card number so we can charge you a ridiculous amount of money for the call. Sorry no. Not happening.

So I sent an email to alert them that the toll free number for my area doesn't work. Their reply? Please call us. Yeah, I would except that the number doesn't work ya bastards.

This was weeks ago. Once a week I would try the number again. It wouldn't work. I would email the airline. They would respond with the same old reply. Seriously. Do they read the emails at all? I'm emailing them because the number doesn't work. I'd call the other number if they would tell me what rate I would be charged (provided it wasn't ridiculous), but since a friend was charged over $10 a minute for a call to the States, I'm not playing that game. Read the freaking emails!

This week was different though. The phone number for my island was working! It took an amazing amount of time to get through to a real live person, but eventually it happened. She was helpful but rather slow. It took her half an hour to make the changes. I found the info online, with my ghetto slow connection, in under 3 minutes. Not that it matters, it wasn't a competition. The changes have been made. I get a real vacation now.


I'm pretending that my persistence and energy resulted in the airline fixing the problem with the 1-800 number. Without me, no one from this area would be able to call toll free. I believe I will be rewarded for this. Not from the airline of course. But karma for sure. I mean, I did just help a lot of people right?

No comments: